Total Pageviews

Wednesday 23 November 2016

AN ALBUM HALF DONE - POSTSCRIPT

Yesterday's post - An Album Half Done - featured a selection of song lyrics dating back to 1976 and moving on through the next 10 years or so. Forty years ago, I had moved from Belfast to Manchester and, as I re-read these words, I remembered short bursts of homesickness, strangeness in a strange land, fish out of water feelings (and all the other cliches). I had a guitar that I could strum reasonably well and a headful of ideas for songs.

The 1970s were brilliant for singer/songwriters - Neil Young, James Taylor, Joni Mitchell, Gordon Lightfoot and many more. My personal favourite was John Stewart, formerly of The Kingston Trio, whose most familiar song is Daydream Believer, a big hit for The Monkees and still a radio regular after all these years. He also wrote Gold and July, You're A Woman.

There was no reason why I couldn't at least have a go at what these guys were doing.

In 1997, I did a weekly songs bulletin, sending my lyrics to various people, 99% of whom did not respond but it kept me amused.

Recently, I unearthed the folder and sifted the songs I like, the ones that remind me of people and places, of love, loss and all that jazz.

If you get a chance, go back one post to yesterday's Album Half Done and have a look. Oh, and the reason is is called An Album Half Done is the lack of music. I know their chords and the tunes. One day I might collaborate with proper musicians to bring the words to life and share with a wider audience.



AN ALBUM HALF DONE
by Joe Cushnan















All song lyrics copyright ©Joe Cushnan 2016

TRACK LISTING

Casablanca Lovesong
Poet Laureate
Somebody Else Was Driving
Listen For The Thunder
Like A Cat
She Played Music
Harry's Song (For Harry Chapin)
The Last Country Song
Song For Rita
Closed Down For Winter
Crossroads

No comments:

Post a Comment