Total Pageviews

Sunday 27 November 2016

NAME CALLING

All our heads are stuffed full of stuff and occasionally an out of the blue name or memory spills out.
Sometimes, for no obvious reasons, names from the past pop into my head. This morning I remembered the name Vernon Cornell who was the administration controller in 1970s/early 80s BHS. I worked in his team for a couple of years under his right hand man who was called, and I kid you not, Ray Gunn who nicknamed our board director, Terry Lenthall, Cherry Menthol and laughed like a drain every time. We laughed to be polite, of course. At one time in our group there was a girl called Yvonne Knott... Y. Not.  Those were pretty good times based in BHS head office in Marylebone Road, London and travelling all over the UK.

Vernon left retailing and moved to Cornwall, I think, to run a bed & breakfast place. I don't know what happened to the others. But I love random thoughts and the game of connections that follow.

In 2009, the BBC published a list of names believed to be both true and unfortunate. They included:

Justin Case
Barb Dwyer
Stan Still
Hazel Nutt
Doug Hole
Rose Bush
Joe King
Barry Cade
Carrie Oakey
Tim Burr
Terry Bull
Mary Christmas
Anna Sasin

Hmmm. They may be genuine enough. Even typing this, I remember old jokes re names:

Carpet salesman - Walter Wall
Swedish bartender - Lars Torders
etc, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment